Archive for May 2007
The scheduled MVP meet amongst Chennai did happen yesterday. However, since it happened to be a Sunday, there weren't much attendance. Hence Abhishek, myself and Naresh had some brief meetups, a touring around to Bikes and Barrels at Residency Towers and then disperse off home after some bites at a chat shop late night in Ispahani center.
I have this experience in detail with reference to my more impressed Bikes and Barrels over here.
Expert Premium Services -- Back with the Vigor (Rejuvenated and Reloaded)
For a while from January to February there had been a lull in my Experts-Exchange community participation. I tried doing a analysis of what was going wrong? These are the introspection results which I would like to share with:
- The website itself was transitioning from Classic Legacy format to a newer theme based. I particularly experienced severely hit slow loading pages on the age-old telephone-line powered dialup networking connections and the wrecked poor-quality Airtel Broadband line.
- The specified period had a little but more schedules to address, commitments to care and higher priority tasks that were preempting the same. These made Experts-Exchange participation to take the backseat for a while.
Starting back on March, you could see the Spring Ahead in the same. Incidentally, our Spring Ahead coincided with the Daylight Savings Time Spring Ahead in US too. You can check out my Experts Premium profile in the right navigation widget of this weblog.
More information at www.inbox.com/wsg
Product Companies -- Good Lexical Compelling Ads
Yesterday while travelling to workplace from Tambaram to Guindy, I saw a new advertisement near Velacherry put up by Aspire Systems. I know of some really good friends in Aspire, which is currently located near Siruseri Information Park in Chennai. You can also see a lot of employee transportation facilities that are offered by Aspire running through out the length and breadth of the city round-the-clock. Well! Coming to the main point of discussion, the most impressive word that caught my attention in the Aspire's Hoarding in Velacherry was 'Producteering'.
Product companies vie with one another to provide innovative, captivating, enthralling and enticing products coupled with very compelling marketing for the same. More than project based development, product development, in a way involves more strategic effort from both the development and marketing. They have go in a very harmonious fashion to capture the market, as I myself learnt from my brief sojourn at Synaptris Decisions. Of course, I tasted the fruits of product development even while at C S Software long back, but the product-ship there wrecked no sooner it set on its sail due to various internal factors.
Well! Coming to the main line discussions, even Santosh shared me another interesting and compelling product development buzzword -- Productization. There is nothing review or like that involved in this post nor any significant material. Just wanted to share the interesting buzzwords that are associated with product development. You may like to check out http://www.dotnetspider.com/ for Hot BuzzWords in technology.
More information at www.inbox.com/wsg
How many times you have been faced with the piquant situation of forgetting a password and trying to retrieve one frantically? Particularly with the plethora of passwords to remember across this is becoming chaotic.
There is a good move among the giants to bring in common signon networks like Microsoft Passport (Windows LiveID), Lycos Passport, AOL ScreenName, Yahoo ID, Google Accounts etc. But since there are little to big sites which have thier own registration besides the countless number of web and windows applications having diversified passwords and logon credentials that we are forced to remember each day.
There have been a good number of password manager applications. I would like to mention about a couple of them which I feel are really good and comprehensive in the goal that they are trying to address and accomplish.
- Keepass: It is described in the website as an opensource password info. You can download the source and also try to enhance it for your own needs. It even features clipping and pasting logon credentials to appropriate websites assisted by plugins.
- Password Minder: It is a .NET tool, also an opensource tool which generates and maintains passwords for you. It is from PluralSight. It has a rich master password encryption. Do not forget the master password otherwise the data
During my current stay in Irving, TX along with Muthu Rajesh, he had purchased a new Dell laptop loaded with Windows Vista. While playing around Windows Vista Home Basic edition a bit, I observed some really good features. The most interesting feature I observed was when you 'View Source' on a web page, Windows Vista alers you and confirms whether you wanted to open the Notepad application.
At the first sight we would think that this is tooo much of the warning message placing more emphasis on the security. But on careful study and deducing from IE Blog, it rather plugs a hole that applications do not try having thier privileges elevated unintentionally. As IE blog explains, this also tries to address any security vulnerabilities that may be there in Notepad, which a hacker can make use of to take control of the host system.
Check out the full length discussion threat at IE Blog here.
- Simpler but powerful Content Management Solution to install and maintain
- Opensource and hence a cheaper but powerful option for small enterprises and non-profit organizations also to take advantage of a good content management solutions.
- Powerful User Authentication Module.
- The native engine itself is pretty fast.
- Builtin Blogger API support
- Unique multiple database support.
- Good discussion forum module (if we need to use one)
- Web-based Administration.
Perhaps you can refer this one to a friend who is also looking for good and cost-effective content management solution.
The passionate community spirit and a website that gives a greater spirit and enthusiasm for dynamic community participations and contributions. That defines Community-Credit.com. Albeit the fact that there resembles a different portrayal of presentation, there is a distinct progressive difference now. You can find myself enlisted in 'All Timers'.
A quick recap of few other recent Community-Credit developments that we have discussed.
Stay Tuned. There are more laurels to win and to share across this weblog.