Staying Tuned to Notification Messages
It is a basic Internet etiquette to respond to any of the good email requests and messages within normal acceptable time, unless you have categorized them as spam aka junk email. Towards this, in this blog post, I would like to summarize a few webmail services and desktop email clients that come with good features to keep you staying tuned as and when email arrives in your Inbox.
- Inbox Notifier -- Besides access to your emailaddress (at) inbox.com, it provides a host of other services like hosted notes, Virtual Storage, Photo Upload Wizard etc.
- FastCheck -- It provides a desktop utility to check your Fastmail.fm emailbox.
- Windows Live Messenger -- The Instant Messaging Service that gives a sneak preview into your MSN Hotmail emailbox.
- Yahoo Messenger -- The classic desktop messenger utility to provide a sneak preview into your Yahoo emailbox.
Most of the desktop email clients have an agent that can hide the main window of the application from the system tray and make an icon near the clock to keep monitoring your email server for new messages. A few of the good ones are:
- Netscape Messenger
- Microsoft Outlook
- Saberquest Mailspy -- This has been a very good tool to monitor your email server and launch your preferred email client. I could not locate the new download location.
- Email Remover -- This handy utility helps you to preview into your email server without actually downloading the full messages. Typically helpful in the case of heavy attachments and spam control.