Saturday, October 30, 2010

Is my desktop always that clean?

Someone asked me in response to this post  whether my desktop is always this clean as illustrated in the post or did I clean it intentionally to capture the screenshot. My response was ‘It is always’.

I don’t encourage the habit of saving files onto desktop for varied reasons. A few of them are:

  1. The desktop needs to be painted by Windows quite frequently and particularly during logon and hence is tedious and may be cumbersome.
  2. The desktop is a special folder located in the User Profile. And if your domain profile is particularly configured as a Roaming Profile then the download might be particular PITA for the router and your system.
  3. I normally encourage the habit of cleaning and resurrecting the profile folders in regular intervals. In those cases considering the safety of desktop folder, it is better not to save it there.
  4. The folders in the desktop have an increased vulnerability to Shoulder Surfing.

Windows XP itself ships with a  small utility that moves unneeded desktop files into a folder. This emphasizes an elevated advisory that not to treat and overburden desktop heavily.

No comments:

[Imported from Blogdrive]Online Virus Scanners

Online Virus Scanners Virus Scanners are no longer difficult to install, tedious to configure. There are easy to use Online Virus Scanne...