- Back to Home »
- Effective FTP Management of your website
Effective FTP Management of your website
FTP, which is an abbreviation of File Transfer Protocol is a very effective and inevitable tool for webmasters and even casual web surfers. Webmasters use this tool for day-to-day publishing and updates of their websites' content. Web Surfers find it a very useful tool to download software, where FTP is supported.
Compared to HTTP download/upload, since technically FTP supports dedicated connection, it is more effective in upload and download. Don't worry. I am not going to bore you with the technical internals of FTP. For those, interested thereto, check out the FTP RFC over here: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html
I thought of sharing some nice, useful client applications that would be useful for webmasters and websurfers using FTP.
FileZilla FTP Client and Server are available even with source code from SourceForge webservers. It also supports Secure FTP.
Leech FTP webserver says that the ftp application is no longer supported or is being upgraded. But it is really an excellent tool and some of the salient features that it supports are:
- Multithreaded FTP downloads
- Protected Bookmarks
- Minimize the application (while it downloads) to a system tray and optional password protection.
- Update check. But I think this feature does not work now, since updates are no longer supported.
- Http URL Clipboard monitor.