Posted by : Deepak Vasudevan Friday, May 28, 2010

Where is root in Ubuntu?

The Unix and variants of the operating system are literally obsessed by one super power account called 'root'. Whilst I was playing with Ubuntu as many documentations showed me to use su but I didn't have the 'root' password. It was rather surprising. I was apprehensive of whether I messed up something with the installation but I was pretty sure that it did ask me a single username and password all through the installation process.

I did do a quick check of /etc/passwd file using

less /etc/passwd

and I found the root account there. So what is the password of 'root' account. After a little more digging into it, I found out that Ubuntu has more command called 'sudo' (similar to su (switch user)) which does the task. sudo prompts me the password for the username that I setup during the installation and the gap got filled up.

Popular Post

Blogger templates

Labels

Blog Archive

Followers

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © Lavanya Deepak -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -