Posted by : Deepak Vasudevan Saturday, October 18, 2008
Swiff -- A Free Standalone Flash Player
Whenever you get a SWF file, currently the only way of playing them are the following:
- Write a quick HTML code to embed the SWF and play within the web browser. The HTML is required so that you view the SWF in correct dimensions without distortions.
- Drag and drop it into your favorite web browser but there might be little distortion since the SWF is stretched to full browser window.
I remember that Adobe was distributing a standalone version of Flash Player but currently I am not able to locate it. Besides more, the download footprint of Adobe products and the hunger for memory by Adobe family of products makes me to stay away from it. I have already moved to FoxIT PDF Reader. Here is a quick review about Swiff, which is a standalone flash player.
Website: Swiff Flash Player
- Player Seekbar
- OpenGL Hardware Acceleration
- Easy display of movie properties
- Small download footprint without complicated registry setup and complex DLLs.
Check it out for yourself.